Federation of Christian Mission Schools Malaysia | Gabungan Sekolah-Sekolah Mubaligh Kristian Malaysia
Formation of FCCMSM, the Federation of Councils of Christian Mission Schools, Malaysia under a Charter; this Federation consisted of three (3) Councils:
- The Malayan Christian Schools’ Council
- The Sabah Council of Christian Mission Schools
- The Sarawak Council of Christian Mission Schools
The Federation of Christian Mission Schools Malaysia (FCMSM) represents all the MISSION AUTHORITIES OF CHRISTIAN MISSION SCHOOLS in the country. Its membership comprises all 25 Mission Authorities who own the land and buildings on which the Mission Schools are located.
What makes Mission Schools special is very much embedded in their ethos, special character and traditions. All parties acknowledge that these must be preserved and maintained. The role of the Board of Governors as the custodian of the ethos, character and traditions of the mission schools is therefore very important.
Heads and teachers of mission schools play a key role in the continuance of this tradition as stated in the Revised Report of the Royal Commission of the Teaching Services, West Malaysia, June 1971 by Tan Sri Abdul Aziz bin Mohd Zain.
‘To allay any misgiving as regards the status and the special character of some former private schools particularly the mission schools and conforming Chinese schools, we would suggest that in exercising the powers of deployment and assignment of teachers, especially the head teachers, there should be maximum consultation between the deployment authority and the individual Boards of the school so that this character is maintained.’
Article 8.53 page 53
The Christian perspective of ethos is illumined by the Gospel and is attentive to the needs of students. Mission schools place great emphasis on holistic education, balancing character development with academic excellence. It promotes the dignity, self-esteem and full development of the person, empowering young girls/boys to become people of integrity, with emphasis on the formation of the heart, so as to be committed to service to their family, nation and the world. This is in tandem with the aspirations expressed in the Rukun Negara and the National Philosophy of Education.
This was further affirmed by the then Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Education, YAB Tan Sri Dato Hj Muhyiddin bin Mohd Yassin, when he met with the representatives of the FCCMSM on 21 January 2013 in Putrajaya which culminated in the issuance of the circular Bilangan 1 Tahun 2013 of the Ministry of Education for the Appointment of the Principals and Head Teachers of Mission Schools.
THE MISSION AUTHORITIES
MISSION AUTHORITIES OF SABAH
- The Bishop of the Anglican Diocese of Sabah (Registered Trustee)
- The Basel Christian Church of Malaysia
- Registered Trustee of the Diocese of Kota Kinabalu
- Registered Trustee of the Diocese of Keningau
- Registered Trustee of the of the Catholic Church of the Diocese of Sandakan
- President of the Protestant Church in Sabah
MISSION AUTHORITIES OF SARAWAK
- The Bishop, Diocese of Kuching and Brunei Darussalam
- The Archbishop of Kuching (Roman Catholic Church)
- The Bishop of Miri (Roman Catholic Church)
- The Bishop of Sibu (Roman Catholic Church)
- The Methodist Church in Malaysia – Sarawak Chinese Annual Conference
- The Methodist Church in Malaysia – Sarawak Iban Annual Conference
MISSION AUTHORITIES OF PENINSULAR MALAYSIA
- The Titular Roman Catholic Archbishop of Kuala Lumpur
- The Titular Roman Catholic Bishop of Penang
- The Titular Roman Catholic Bishop of Malacca Johore
- The Visitor in the Federation of Malaya of the Christian Brothers’ Schools
- The Lady Superior of the Society of Saint Maur
- The Mother Superior of the Daughters of Charity of the Canossian Institute (Malaya)
- The Superior of the Institute of Franciscan Missionaries of Mary
- The Titular Superior of the Institute of Marist Brothers of the Schools Federation Malaya
- The Titular Superior of the Brothers of St. Gabriel, Malaya
- The Methodist Church in Malaysia – The Council of Education (Peninsular)
- Synod of the Diocese of West Malaysia
- Gereja Presbyterian Malaysia
- Christian Brethren of Malaysia Property Trust Berhad