Report on Sarawak Methodist Head Teachers Education Forum 2017
1. To inform the BoGs members of the functions of Board of Governors.
- To empower and inspire Board members to work as a team in the service of the School Community
- To revive the Ethos and the Character of Mission School
- Theme: Rekindling Mission School Ethos and Character
- Date: 23.9.2017 (Saturday)
- Time: 0800-1500
- Venue: Methodist Secondary School, Sibu
|23.9.2015 (Sat)||0800||Participants Reporting|
|0830 – 1030||Session 1: Ethos and Character of Methodist Missions||Ms Tay Choon Neo,|
|1000 – 1030||Break|
|1030 – 1230||Session 2 :· Dual Language Programme|
· SK Ng Mujong & SMK Methodist Sibu share Best Practices in Methodist Schools
|Mr Khor Hong Yin,|
Methodist Council of Education
|1230 – 1400||Lunch Break|
|1400 – 1600||Forum:|
· Issues & Challenges of Mission Schools
· Prospects of Under- enrolled schools: Closing of schools?
Ms Tay Chon Neo
Mr Khor Hong Yin
Mr Charles Tiong
|Mission Authority||No of Participants||No of Schools||BoG members|
- To Principal & Staff of Methodist Sec School for logistics arrangements
- To Mr Khor Hong Yin and Ms Tay Choon Neo
Highlights of the Forum:
- Morning Devotion by Pastor Ngu Lock Tee
Matthew 9:35-38 “ Tuaian banyak sekali tetapi penuai hanya segelintir. Berdoalah dengan bersungguh kepada Tuan yang empunya tuaian itu supaya menghantar pekerja untuk menuai”
Jesus called teachers to go out into the harvest field.
- Federation of Councils of Christian Mission Schools Malaysia
by Ms Tay Choon Neo
- Briefed on the history and its formation & Organizational structure.
- Special character and ethos of Mission Schools.
- Representing Mission Schools to communicate with Ministry of Education (MoE) over the appointments of School Heads/Senior Assistants, religious bodies, teaching of Bible Knowledge Subject,
- Role of Board of Governors/Managers. Working with School Heads to ensure implementation of Christian values. Accountability of Project Expenditure.
- Current issues affecting Mission Schools by Mr Khor Hong Yin
- Dual Language programme; Encourage all Mission Schools to go for the Programme
- MoE’s strategy to combine “Sekolah Kurang Murid”.
Various issues are raised. Need to look into the implications when Mission Schools combine with Government schools. Effectively it would mean one less Mission School in place.
Reported by Charles Tiong